Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Romney On Vietnam

Romney in France during the Vietnam War

Romney in 1994 to Boston Herald
"I was not planning on signing up for the military.  It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam, but nor did I take any actions to remove myself from the pool of young men who were eligible for the draft,"
Mitt Romney sought and received 4 deferments during the Vietnam war.  He received a deferment while at Stanford and for two and a half years from July 1966 to February 1969  Romney received a deferment as a missionary in France.   For Mr. Romney to receive a deferment he would have had to actively, send in paperwork and request a deferment from the Selective Service system.  He did that 4 times during the height of the fighting in Vietnam.  I have no idea what Romney means when he says:

"nor did I take any actions to remove myself from the pool of young men who were eligible for the draft"


Romney in 2007 Boston Globe
 "I was supportive of my country,  I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and be representing our country there, and in some ways it was frustrating not to feel like I was there as part of the troops that were fighting in Vietnam."
American soldiers none of them named Mitt Romney, George Bush or Dick Cheney

So while spending years in France as a missionary, Romney was frustrated because he really wanted to be slogging through muddy rice paddies  in 100% humidity and 100+ heat carrying a 100lb pack with bullets whistling overhead?   Really, which is it Romney?  You supported the Vietnam War, but wouldn't enlist?

 "It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam,"
 "I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam"
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment