Quinoa Salad with rice and black beans
1 cup quinoa
2 can vegetable broth or chicken broth
3 tsp. cumin divided
1 cup water
1 cup long grain rice
2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 bunch green onions
1 large red bell pepper stemmed, seeded and diced
2 large tomatoes
3 ears of corn, yellow or white
1 bunch cilantro, stems removed and finely chopped
1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. salt
fresh ground black pepper
1. Place the quinoa in a fine sieve and rinse well with water. If you don't have a sieve, rinse the quinoa in a large pan, after letting it soak for a few minutes. This rinsing is important to remove Quinoa's bitter coating.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the quinoa, 2 cup vegetable/chicken broth and 1 tsp. cumin. Bring to a boil, cover reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until the broth is absorbed. Remove from heat, and lightly fluff.
3. Combine remaining broth with water for a full 2 cups of liquid, pour into a small saucepan ( rice cooker works, if you stir a couple of times during cooking) add 1 tsp. cumin, bring to a boil, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
4. Place about 2 quarts warm water in a pot large enough to hold the three ears of fresh corn, when the water is rapidly boiling add the ears, return to boil and cook 3 minutes. Remove ears from water and let cool. After the ears have cooled, use a large dicing knife and carefully shave off the corn kernels from the cob.
5. While the rice and quinoa are simmering, clean, chop and dice, peppers, cilantro, green onions, tomatoes and add to a large salad bowl.
6. Mix the ingredients for the dressing, very well and then pour over the fresh vegetables. When the quinoa and rice are cooled to room temperature add to the salad along with the corn kernels. Toss well and chill.
Makes 12 servings
This summer salad recipe uses 3 pans for cooking, and requires lots of chopping but its worth it! This is really good the first day, and exceptional the second day. Jalapeno's are a wonderful addition to this recipe, as is anything else you'd like to add.