Sweet and Sour Sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 T cornstarch
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 and 1/2 cups pineapple juice
2 T soy sauce
Mix all ingredients in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat while stirring, until sauce thickens and clears-about 8 minutes.
We drain the diced pineapple for our sweet and sour pork stir fry recipe which yields about a little over 1/2 cup of pineapple juice. Dole sells 6 packs of 6 oz. pineapple juice which we keep on hand for the sauce.
This is the glaze we use for our sweet and sour pork recipe, printed by request for our friend Jay.
From Sunset Oriental Cookbook 1981
Hi. Here is an old Sweet & Sour Pork Cubes recipe from the 60s.ReplyDelete
2 lbs pork, cut in 1/2" cubes
1/2 cup corn starch in paper bag
1 tsp sherry
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups oil for frying
1. Mix pork cubes with sherry and salt
2. Shake pork cubes in corn starch bag
3. Heat oil in pan until hot
4. Deep fry pork cubes until golden brown, about 5 minutes; set aside on a dish.
5. Pour sauce over.
6. Serve hot.
Basic Sweet and Sour Sauce
2 tbls corn starch
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup vinegar
1 tsp sherry
1/3 cup water
2 tbls soy sauce
1 tsp Chinese thick molasses (optional)
1. Mix all ingredients in sauce pan
2. Stir constantly while cooking
3. Boil sauce until thickened
4. Store for use
--Diana Wu Liu & Lily Wu Tang