Thursday, August 2, 2012

Mitt Romney Only Pays A 13.9% Tax Rate



Most Americans pay 28-30% of their income in taxes. But not Mitt Romney, he payed 13.9% in 2010 the only partial year of tax returns Mr. Romney released to the public. This weekend in an ABC interview he was asked; "Was there ever any year when you paid lower than 13.9%?"

Romney: "I haven't calculated that. I'm happy to go back and look but my view is I've paid all the taxes required by law." 

 Muir:   "You said you would go back and look, would you look for us?"

Romney:  "Romney: I haven't looked at the tax rate paid year by year. I know that I pay a very substantial amount of taxes and every year since the beginning of my career so far as I can recall."

Mr. Romney also thinks that he pays a "very substantial amount of taxes", however, the poor and the middle class pay a much higher percentage of their income in taxes than Mr. Romney.  Now there are reports that Mitt Romney didn't pay any taxes at all for 10 years.  Is it true?  Possibly, we won't know unless Mr. Romney releases additional tax returns.  It would be good for Americans to see how broken our tax code really is by taking a good long hard look at multiple years of Mr. Romney's tax returns.  It would be a public service.  Mr. Romney should release those tax returns to end the question in American minds-What is Mr. Romney hiding?
In the meantime America, ABC News and Mr. Muir are still waiting for an answer.
Mr. Romney, was there ever any year when you paid lower than 13.9%?

The full transcript of Mr. Romney's interview with ABC News is here

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment