Saturday, December 10, 2011

Whole Wheat No-Knead Bread

Almost No-Knead whole wheat bread, photo by author
I've tried adding, whole wheat and rye flour to my no-knead bread on occasion with mixed but never fabulous results. Cooks Illustrated developed this recipe 5 years ago, but its new to me.  This whole wheat recipe is great. A darker crust, the rich aroma of whole wheat and a denser sponge makes this recipe a keeper.  I baked this loaf at 425, for 30 minutes with the lid on and an unknown time with the lid off, yes, I forgot to set the timer.   Use the process illustrated here to make this whole wheat variation, other than the different ingredients, everything else is the same.


Whole Wheat Recipe:
2 cups (10 ounces) all purpose or bread flour
1 cup (5 ounces) whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp. instant or rapid-rise yeast
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. honey (I used 2 Tbs. agave nectar)
3/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. (7 ounces) water at room temp
1/4 cup plus 2 Tbs. (3 ounces) mild flavored lager (non-alcoholic works fine)
1 Tbs. white vinegar
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment