Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Ladies, We Need You In Government

Women comprise 51% of the population of the US, yet only 17% of congress is female.  While women comprise 60% of college graduates they represent only 3% of the media corporate structure.  The republicans are waging full time war on women's reproductive rights and Rick Santorum wants women to stay at home and have babies, while the media portrays women as young, beautiful and breedable.  Some women are fighting back.

from Miss Representation.org
The film Miss Representation exposes how American youth are being sold the concept that women and girls’ value lies in their youth, beauty and sexuality. It’s time to break that cycle of mistruths.
In response we created MissRepresentation.org, a call-to-action campaign that seeks to empower women and girls to challenge limiting media labels in order to realize their potential.
We are uniting individuals around a common, meaningful goal to spark millions of small actions that ultimately lead to a cross-generational movement to eradicate gender stereotypes and create lasting cultural and sociological change.

We desperately need women's voices in government.  Ladies, please step up and serve.  The nation needs you to break up the testosterone fueled debacle on Capitol Hill.  We need leadership, not brinksmanship.  
 We need intelligent human and humane leadership.   Ladies, tell me you can't beat this "See Spot Run" speech by Mitt Romney?

"A little history -- I was born and raised here. I love the state. It seems right here. Trees are the right height.  I like -- I like seeing the lakes. I love the lakes. Something very special here. The Great Lakes but also all the little inland lakes that dot the parts of Michigan.  "I love cars. I don't know -- I mean, I grew up totally in love with cars.... I love cars. I love American cars."
Every (male) Republican on Capitol Hill wants to defund Planned Parenthood.  In  2011, 92 abortion restriction  provisions were passed by mostly (male) republican legislatures across the US.  Every single (male) republican presidential candidate is in favor of the personhood bill which will outlaw most birth control methods used by women.  More Independent or Democratic women in Congress will mean a less effective (male) Republican War on Women. 

 MissRepresentation.org
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment